Saturday, January 25, 2014

Could I Possibly Be More Grateful?

Last night I watched Lone Survivor with my husband and was so overwhelmed with emotion, I couldn't sleep until about 2am.  I have an appointment at 9, so my alarm was set for 7.  When I reset the alarm for 8 so I could get a little extra sleep, my mind wouldn't let me.  I could not get my thoughts away from what these men did for our country, and so many other men and women just like them.

Have you seen the movie yet?  Do you know somebody currently in active duty?  Maybe you have a loved one serving now.  Maybe it's your neighbor, or friend, or somebody you know by association.  I wanted to go on record and let you know I am so grateful from the bottom of my heart.  Nothing I write could express exactly how I feel.

After reading the book, 365 Thank-Yous, by John Kralik I made a committment to send 365 Gratitude Cards this year to people I am thankful for.  How can I possibly thank all of these people, their families, and their friends for what they have done for me and my loved ones?  One card, one thank you at a time.

I encourage you to email me the name and address of somebody you know who has served our country.  They don't have to be the kind of heroes these men are.  In my eyes, all who served are heroes.  Having lost family members young, I know the grief.  I also know how it felt to get contacted, sometimes years later, by people who cared about my brothers.  I would like to bring that little bit of an emotional lift to as many people as I can through this blog.  I won't hound them, won't send any marketing material.  Just one simple card letting them know how grateful I am for the sacrifices their family member or friend has made on my behalf.

On this post, I would love to hear you share your story.  Maybe it is yours.  Maybe it is the story of the servicemen and women you know.  But, this is a place they can be recognized.  It's a small gesture I know.  But, it is something I am able to do.

My deepest gratitude, one more time,

Pat Deere

Links:  John Kralik, Lone Survivor


No comments:

Post a Comment